Thursday, May 04, 2006






















Night Beach 2

7.7" x 7.8" (19.7 cm x 19.8 cm)
charcoal and pastel


This is another night view of the beach at Cape Lookout, Oregon. Again, done from memory.

These night drawings are indebted to Turner and Whistler, but also to various photographers who have photographed these hazy or foggy scenes.

I wish that I had taken some photographs when I was on the beach. It would have been interesting to compare photographs and drawings of same scene. I have the feeling that I would have preferred the photographs.

Posted below is one of Whistler's Noctures. It is remarkable how close this work is to being completely abstract, even though it was done in the 1870's. For instance,there is not that much separating it from a Mark Rothko abstract of the 1950's or 60's.