Monday, February 26, 2007


























B.

graphite, ink, and watercolour
30.5 x 22.9 cm (12" x 9")

After I finished the drawing for this portrait, without thinking I began applying colour. Originally, I intended on doing a monochromatic gouache, but because of my impatience, or lack of forethought, I found myself with a watercolour before I realized it. (Of course, it could have been transformed into a gouache at any point. For myself, though, I find that gouaches proceed much better if done on a toned paper, and I hadn't toned this paper.)

As an experiment I decided to limit myself to three colours plus black. I'm not crazy about the result. It seems a little too washed out.

The hand appears to have no thumb. I actually drew one, and painted it, but somehow, as the painting proceeded, it got washed away.